Residents in Marstons Mills, West Barnstable and Centerville heed notice.
In recent weeks the Barnstable Police have responded to a growing number of both residential and motor vehicle “Day Time”(6am-6pm) breaks. Particularly in Marstons Mills, Centerville, and West Barnstable neighborhoods we have been responding to calls for houses and vehicles being broken into and property being stolen.
The Patrol Force and Detective Division are working together to try and solve many of these crimes and prevent future incidents. However we need to build a partnership with the residents in our community to help with this problem.
We are asking if anyone has information regarding any of these past crimes to please contact the Barnstable Police Detective Division at 508-778-3820.
We are also asking that members of a community take the following steps to help prevent any future crimes like this from happening.
- Please report suspicious vehicles or people in your neighborhood
- Lock your vehicle and remove or hide items of value
- Lock your house when home and when out, this especially includes when you run quick errands or go for walks
- Don’t leave a spare key under flower pots or door mats, instead leave a spare key with a neighbor in case of lock outs
- Secure sliding doors and windows
- Secure window mounted air conditioning units
- Utilize your alarm system if your house or vehicle has one
- Keep garage doors and shed doors closed
- Secure your yard by keeping bushes and trees trimmed, more hiding spaces for would be thieves makes a target more inviting
- If you are going away on vacation or business, make sure you stop mail and newspaper delivery
Information from a press release.