Summer is almost everyone's favorite time of year. How can you not love the ground fog, hot days and cool summer nights? Each day, as we advance through summer, is a grand reminder that winter and its snow are ahead and we should enjoy the sun and fun while we can.
Here are 10 things I'll miss about summer:
1. Entertaining house guests. Not that the house guests are entertaining, but that we get to have company at least two or three months out of the year. No one ever wants to visit during the winter.
2. Complaining about the house guests once they have left. This is what makes guests somewhat entertaining. One guest reorganized my kitchen. Not just the spices, but all of my cabinets, pots and pans included. OK, the guest was one of my sisters.
3. The smell of wild roses. Rosa Rogasa. Beach Plum. Rosemary.
4. Living off the land, everything from picking berries to clamming and fishing.
5. Swimming in the ocean, pond, bay or sound. As long as it is not a swimming pool.
6. Boating. So, we don't have a fiberglass yacht, but we do have a plastic kayak.
7. Armchair theater with the Bergman Family Players.
8. Seeing summer friends. On the Cape and Islands we can group our friends by the seasons and ask questions like, "How was your winter?" You can't ask the people you work with how their winter was.
9. Bonfires, sing-alongs, and stargazing.
10. Reading books, especially books written by good friends.
What will you miss about summer? Let us know in the comments section.