If you're wondering what kinds of water restrictions might be in place for the remainder of the summer in Barnstable, the Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills Water Department has issued a list of tips and details regarding its voluntary water conservation program.
Water conservation kits are available at no charge upon request, according to an online memo from Superintendent Craig A. Crocker.
Below are a list of tips on conserving water under the voluntary program, according to the Barnstable town website:
- Avoid all outside water use between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Residents living in homes on odd-numbered sides of streets should only water lawns and gardens on odd-numbered days only. Those living on even-numbered sides of streets are asked to water on even-numbered days.
- Water only when necessary; be aware of the advance weather forecast.
- Maintain your lawn at a height of at least two inches to help protect roots and retain soil moisture.
- Install rain shutoff devices on automatic irrigation systems.
- Automatic irrigation system owners should check moisture sensor controls for proper operation.